A Marriage Certificate is an essential document for a couple. It is a legal confirmation document which states that the two people are legally married and in no way is their Marriage avoid or avoidable one. It means that if you obtain a marriage certificate, you and your partner are legally in a marriage relationship.
To register for a marriage certificate, please note that the minimum age for boys and girls is different. The girls should have crossed the age of 18 years, and the boys shall have crossed the age of 21 years. Also, when you are registering for a marriage certificate, you should have essential documents mentioned in this article. Your Marriage shall be free of any restrictions.
Marriage Registration In India
India, the marriages get registered under the Special Marriage Act, 1955 or under the Hindu Marriage Act, 1954. It was in 2006 when the Supreme Court made it necessary to register a marriage. If both the partners in a marriage are Hindu, Buddhist, Jain, Sikh or converted Hindus, they can register themselves under the Hindu Marriage Act.
However, if any of the parties do not belong to Hindu, Buddhist, Jain, Sikh, such parties can register themselves under the Special Marriage Act. A marriage certificate is definite proof to show that a couple is legally married. Suppose you and your partner going to move out of the country after Marriage. The passport authorities require evidence to believe that the couple is married.
To register your Marriage, you can either follow an online marriage certificate process or an offline process. For offline, one needs to visit a Sub-Divisional Registrar Magistrate office whose jurisdiction lies in the area of either of the spouses.
Documents Needed For Marriage Registration Form
You need the following documents while you are obtaining the marriage certificate:
- Age proof of husband and wife: The given documents act as a valid proof of age. Please note that apart from these documents, other materials also act as a valid proof of Marriage.
- Address Proof: For address proof, you can carry your passport or your driving license.
- Proof of Marriage: You must carry a marriage invitation card along with two passport photo size of the couple as the proof of Marriage.
- The witness must carry their Aadhar Card and passport size photo. Also, they must take a PAN card.
Procedure To Get Marriage Certificate
There are two methods two obtain a marriage certificate for a valid marriage. The spouses can follow any of these methods:
Marriage Certificate Online
- Online: If you wish to apply online, follow these steps:
- To begin registering, visit the official website for marriage registration. Click on the Marriage certificate Registration Form.
- After this, a new web page appears. It is the marriage registration form. Fill up all the details about the spouses, shipping address.
- Now make the payment by selecting the appropriate payment method.
- Now you can submit the form. You also receive a copy of your filled up form on the registered email.
- The procedure mentioned above was for the registration of your Marriage. If you want to obtain the certificate of the Marriage, you can do so by visiting the homepage. Click on the Marriage Certificate option and follow the on-screen instructions.
Marriage Certificate Offline
- Offline: You can register your marriage certificate offline through the offline method by following these methods:
- To apply through the offline mode, you must visit the office of Sub Divisional Magistrate. The Registrar must have jurisdiction in the area of any of the spouses.
- Get the form and sign fill it up carefully.
- Now upon the submission of the Marriage Certificate Application form 2023, the verification of all the documents done. And now a new date fixed for the appointment and the same notified to the spouses for registration.
Appointment and Witness
If the parties are registering themselves under the Hindu Marriage Act, they get an appointment within 15 days if the registration. In case of registration under the Special Marriage Act, the same can take 60 days.
Any person who visited the Marriage of the couple can act as a Witness. However, they must have a PAN card. Also, know details about Passport Seva Portal Registration.
Rules To Get Marriage Certificate Online
When the couple is registering their Marriage under any of acts, they must keep these things in mind:
- The partners who married or going to get married must reside for at least 30 days in the area where they wish to register the Marriage.
- The girl must have attained the age of 18 years, and the boy must reach 21 years at the time of Marriage.
- If the spouse was registering under the Hindu Marriage Act, then any of the spouses cannot have more than one spouse living at the time of Marriage. However, if they are registering under the Special Marriage Act, the presence of one or more wives is allowed.
Marriage Certificate Registration Fee
One who register under the Hindu Marriage Act, then the marriage registration fee is Rs 100. In the case of Special Marriage Act, the marriage application fee is Rs 150.
Tatkaal Marriage Certificate
In 2014, the Department of Delhi Government released a new Tatkaal Service for marriage registration. Through this, the parties can now obtain the marriage registration certificate within one day. The registration under Tatkaal service carried out at the cost of Rs 10,000
Marriage Certificate Online
People, sometimes in case of registering the certificate may face issues. So to overcome that, one can call upon the customer service. The Marriage registration customer care number is 8847709064. The customer support team is available for Monday to Friday. The timings for the online website are from 9:30 Am to 5:PM.
Uses Of Marriage Certificate
The Marriage certificate is a definite proof for Marriage between two people. Along with this, it is useful in the following manner:
- If you are moving out of the country after Marriage, then a marriage certificate helps you obtain passports and visas much easily.
- The marriage certificate checks the age of the spouses. Hence it maintains a check and restricts any child marriage.
- A marriage certificate is useful in opening a bank account after Marriage.
- A marriage certificate avoids fraud marriages.
- It used to avail the right to heritage.
In the above section, we have discussed all the details regarding marriage certificate application form, Marriage Registration fees and also its uses. For more other information, check Timesalert.
- 1 Marriage Certificate
- 1.1 Marriage Registration In India
- 1.2 Documents Needed For Marriage Registration Form
- 1.3 Procedure To Get Marriage Certificate
- 1.4 Marriage Certificate Online
- 1.5 Marriage Certificate Offline
- 1.6 Appointment and Witness
- 1.7 Rules To Get Marriage Certificate Online
- 1.8 Marriage Certificate Registration Fee
- 1.9 Tatkaal Marriage Certificate
- 1.10 Marriage Certificate Online
- 1.11 Uses Of Marriage Certificate