OBC is an abbreviation for Other Backward Classes. In India, there are reservations for people who are socially and economically weak. Other castes who fall under the reservation are SC/ STs or Scheduled Castes/ Scheduled Tribes. Recently, the government also introduced reservations for the economically weaker section or EWS.
- 1 OBC Certificate
- 1.1 Reservation For OBC
- 1.2 OBC Creamy Layer And Non-Creamy Layer
- 1.3 Benefits Of OBC Non-creamy Layer Certificate
- 1.4 Non-Creamy Layer OBC Certificate 2020
- 1.5 OBC Certificate Eligibility
- 1.6 Exempted People For OBC Certificate 2020
- 1.7 Documents Required For OBC Certificate Apply
- 1.8 How To Apply OBC Non-Creamy Certificate
- 1.9 How To Apply for OBC Certificate 2020
- 1.10 OBC Certificate Form Offline
- 1.11 OBC Certificate Apply Online
- 1.12 Conclusion
In SC/STs or EWS, all the people who fall under this category get a reservation. However, in OBC, not everyone receives the reservation. Only some people whose total annual income of the family is below a certain level, only they get the benefit of reservation. So to know more about the OBC Certificate read the complete article below.
Reservation For OBC
In India, people fall under a specific category in OBC caste, and only they get the benefit of reservation in Government institutions and government jobs. A total of 27% of seats or positions reserved for candidates who belong to the Non-creamy layer of OBC.
People who belong to Creamy layer are not allowed to benefit under the provision. Below we have discussed who belongs to the non-creamy layer and creamy layer of OBC.
OBC Creamy Layer And Non-Creamy Layer
It was from the recommendation of the Mandal Commission that OBCs started getting reservations in Government educational institutions and job posts. However, layer on in 1992, the order was challenged by Indra Sawhney.
In its order, Supreme Court held that those candidates who although belong to the OBC caste, but fall under the creamy layer not given the benefits of reservation.
However, later on, the Central Government, later on, decided to mention who all fall under the category of non-creamy layer. The central government keeps a list of all those communities which fall under OBC. To get the benefit of the OBC Non-Creamy layer, you have to meet both the criteria, I.e. Non-Creamy layer and OBC. You must belong to both these reservations.
The verdict that whether you belong to a non-creamy layer or creamy layer depends upon the status of your parents. If any of the parents were government employees who were Group A or Group B officers, children of such parents are said to belong to the creamy layer. Also, if both of your parents were a class II officer before the age of 40, then to you belong to the creamy layer.
However, if the parents were not a Government employee and they didn’t work as Group A or Group B officers, and their Gross Annual income is less than Rs 8 lacs, then children of such parents belong to non-creamy layer. The creamy layer factor determined by the status of parents and not the child. It means that the income of the applicant not counted for determining the Rs 8 lacs slab.
Benefits Of OBC Non-creamy Layer Certificate
If you belong to a non-creamy layer OBC, you get the following benefits:
- There is a 27% reservation in Government educational institutions like IITs and IIMs and Government job posts.
- There is more number of attempts as compared to candidates of a general category in the government exams.
- A more number of chances in merit cut off for selection in institutions.
- There is age relaxation for Government exams.
Non-Creamy Layer OBC Certificate 2020
Although the country is rapidly developing socially and economically, there are regions where the social caste domination of higher castes is still there over lower caste people. The concept of untouchability still prevails in many parts of the nation. And this is the reason why the Mandal Commission recommended reservation for a class of people.
In OBCs, people who belong to the non-creamy layer provided with the benefits of the reservation under OBC. Earlier, all the people who fall under the category of OBC got the reservation. In other reservation categories like SC/STs, all the people still get a reservation.
Coming back to OBCs since only those falling under the Non-creamy layer can get the benefit of reservation, there must be a document issued by a recognized authority that identifies an individual to fall under the non-creamy layer. And this document is none other than a Non-creamy layer certificate. Below, we have mentioned everything about the Non-creamy layer certificate. Also, know about Nadakacheri Online Caste certificate and Date of Birth Certificate here.
OBC Certificate Eligibility
Following people allowed to obtain a Non-creamy layer certificate for OBC reservation:
- They should be a citizen of India and must belong to the OBC category.
- A candidate who is currently working in a Group B position; however, his parents don’t have a stable income, then such a candidate can apply.
- Parents of the applicant must employ under Group C or Group D position of Central Government. Those who don’t work under government job, they are eligible to apply if their gross income is below eight lacs.
- Suppose out of the couple, and the husband is a government employee. His wife can also employee, but his parents should bot have a stable income.
Exempted People For OBC Certificate 2020
Following people exempted from the benefits of Non-creamy layer:
- If the annual gross income of the parents of the candidate exceeds Rs 8 lacs, then such candidates can not apply.
- Those who work under Group A or Group B class of government employees their children cannot apply for a Non-creamy certificate.
- Those who do not belong to the list of the castes who fall under the OBC category are not eligible to apply.
Documents Required For OBC Certificate Apply
When getting a Non-creamy Layer Certificate, you must have these documents in hand:
- Proof of identity: PAN Card, Aadhar Card, or passport any of these documents will work.
- A Proof of caste of blood relative if father has deceased.
- Proof of caste
- Affidavit of caste
- Proof of income
How To Apply OBC Non-Creamy Certificate
Tahsildar issues the Non-creamy certificate. You can follow these steps to get your Non-creamy layer certificate:
- First, buy a Rs 20 stamp paper.
- Get an affidavit from an advocate.
- Now, attach all the required documents with the affidavit—all these documents signed by either the parents or legal guardians.
- Now, submit your application to the VAO.
How To Apply for OBC Certificate 2020
In case you don’t have the OBC caste certificate you can obtain that by following any of these methods. There are two methods to apply:
OBC Certificate Form Offline
For using through offline mode, you need first to visit your nearest Tehsil or SDM office.
- Now you need to fill an application for the caste certificate. In case you have your hometown somewhere else other than the place of use, mention Migration.
- In the case, if your father’s deceased, you need to procure a blood relative’s caste certificate.
- Signature on the self-attesting portion and affix your passport size photograph.
- Submit it, and in a month you will get your caste certificate.
OBC Certificate Apply Online
In case you wish to apply through online mode, you must visit the State’s Social Welfare portal in which you are a resident:
- Now, click on the Apply For Caste Certificate button.
- Create a new account if you have not used the portal earlier. In case you have created an account, then log in using the credentials.
- Fill your application form by giving all the relevant details.
- Upload the necessary documents as well.
- Submit the form.
- Upon submission, you will get a unique application number. One can use number to track your application status.
- After verification, you can download your caste certificate from the portal.
In our diverse cultural nation, there are various kinds of people belonging to different castes. But in our united nation, there are still some areas where caste discrimination is prominent. To protect the interests of such people, the government has reserved some positions in its educational institutions and job positions.
Castes like OBCs, SC/STs enjoy this reservation. However, only people belonging to the Non-creamy layer in OBCs are eligible to benefit from the reservation. Creamy layer OBCs exempted from the benefit of reservation. However, there is no such provision in SC/STs.
People belonging to Non-creamy OBCs can avail of a Non-creamy Layer Certificate as proof of being included under the Non-creamy layer of OBC. For more other details, check Timesalert.